See our full Calendar of Events page for a complete listing of ASBAA’s events and other Asper School of Business Events.
The following is a list of ASBAA’s premier events:
BUDDY DAY – September 7, 2016
[Drake Centre (Fishbowl) 11:00 – 3:30]
- Stop by our booth, meet the ASBAA executive and learn about the accounting major and the great events ASBAA puts on throughout the year.
1st Membership Meeting – September 22, 2016
[ 5:30pm, 343 Drake ]
- ASBAA’s first member meeting of the 2016/2017 academic year will include professionals who will speak about their experience as accountants as well as representatives from CPA Manitoba. New members will also hear about all of the great events we put on and what opportunities are in store for them as an ASBAA member.
- An ASBAA membership is required to attend the meeting. Memberships will be on sale for $15 from Monday to Thursday at the ASBAA booth in the fishbowl throughout the month of September. Free pizza and drinks will be served at the meeting!
CPA Wine & Cheese – September 29, 2016
[RBC Convention Centre, 375 York Avenue, Meet & Greet 4:30 – 7:00 pm; Wine & Cheese 7:00 – 9:30 pm]
- The CPA Recruiting Evening is the premier event for students aspiring to become Chartered Professional Accountants. This event will give students a chance to meet and network with representatives from the top CPA training offices and industry professionals in Winnipeg. It will give students the opportunity to learn about what each firm has to offer, and to get valuable face-to-face time before they submit their CACEE forms.
- Tickets will be on sale at the ASBAA booth in the fishbowl from Monday to Thursday until the day of the event. Tickets will also be on sale at the CDC.
Please contact Fatima Dalmacio, Corporate Events Coordinator, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
10th Annual Toronto Trip – October 12 – 15, 2016
- The Toronto Trip is one of the most memorable experiences to be a part of as an ASBAA member. Ten students will travel to Toronto to experience the business hub of Canada. Students will visit the head offices of accounting firms within the greater Toronto area, as well as other big businesses in the city. This will be an excellent opportunity to network with professionals from outside of Winnipeg as well as having your resume looked at by the hiring managers of the firms we visit. In addition students will get a chance to see major Toronto attractions and experience the social scene in the largest city in Canada. You don’t want to miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity!
- In order to participate you must have completed ACC 1100 and ACC 1110 with a grade of C+ and must be enrolled in one of the courses that comprises the accounting major (ACC 2010, etc).
- Deadline to submit your application is September 15, 2014.
- For more information, see the 11th Annual Toronto Trip page under the events tab.
Please direct any further questions to Midrar Anwar via email at email@example.com
2ND MEMBERSHIP MEETING – November 24 – 5:30 -6:30pm
- We will be having two speakers at our meeting (one from public practice and one from industry) who will talk about going through the CPA designation from a student’s perspective, as well as a short presentation on the Business and Accounting Students Case Competition.
3RD MEMBERSHIP MEETING – March 29th – 5:30 -6:30pm [539 Drake]
- Mr. Dan Torbiak will be our guest speaker and he will talk about his experiences in tax. Dan Torbiak, CPA, CA is an Executive-in-Residence at the Asper School of Business. He lectures at the Asper School, the Executive-Education Centre and the faculties of Law and Medicine. He is the Chief Tax Appeals Commissioner for the Government of Manitoba. He enjoyed a 30-year career in public practice, as a partner of Deloitte and PwC.
- We will also be introducing the new ASBAA president and vice president for the year 2017-2018. We will also discuss the available council positions for the 2017-2018 term. Additionally, all members of the current ASBAA council will talk about their council experience throughout the year.
16th Annual Business and Accounting Students Case Competition and Conference (BASC) – January 26th – 28th 2017
[Fairmont Hotel, Winnipeg, MB]
- The conference includes interactive sessions lead by prominent business leaders in the Winnipeg community, a wine and cheese, icebreaker social and a gala dinner on Saturday evening with many prominent accounting firms in attendance. In addition, a large portion of this event consists of a case competition attended by business students from across the country. In total, this event will see an attendance of over 150 individuals including students, professionals and faculty members.
- Tickets will be on sale for the infamous Gala Dinner on the closing evening of the event. Top accounting firms and industry professionals will be in attendance. DO NOT miss out on this event!
More details about ticket prices and registration will be available within the month of September. For inquiries about the conference, please contact Anna Rudman at firstname.lastname@example.org.