See our full Calendar of Events page for a complete listing of ASBAA’s events and other Asper School of Business Events.
The following is a list of ASBAA’s premier events:
Asper Orientation Day – September 4 & 5, 2018
[Drake Centre (2nd floor booth #6 / #7) [9:00 – 3:00]
- Stop by our booth, meet the ASBAA executive and learn about the accounting major and the great events ASBAA puts on throughout the year.
1st Membership Meeting – September 17, 2018
[ 6:00 to 9:00 pm, 343 Drake ]
- ASBAA’s first member meeting of the 2018/2019 academic year will include professionals from Richardson and Grant Thornton who will speak about their experience as accountants. We will also be having CPA Manitoba speak about the Accounting profession and program in the general. There will be a Jets draw at the end of the meeting.
- New members will also hear about the main events we put on and the wide array opportunities being offered for the rest of the year.
- ASBAA memberships is required to attend the meeting. Memberships will be on sale for $15 from starting September 10 on the first floor of the Drake Centre. Memberships can also be purchased at the door on September 17th. Pizza and drinks will be served at the meeting!
CPA Wine & Cheese – September 27, 2018
[RBC Convention Centre, 375 York Avenue, Meet & Greet 4:30 – 7:00 pm; Wine & Cheese 7:00 – 9:30 pm]
- The CPA Wine & Cheese is a premier event for students aspiring to become Chartered Professional Accountants. This event will give students a chance to meet and network with representatives from the top CPA training offices and industry professionals in Winnipeg. Different sectors of public, private, and industry to different sizes of big, medium, and small size firms will be present. By attending the Wine & Cheese, students will have the opportunity to learn about what each firm has to offer, and what is the best fit for them.
- The CPA Wine & Cheese event takes place before the submission of CACEE forms.
- Tickets will be on sale at the ASBAA booth on the first floor of Drake from Monday to Thursday up to the day of the event. Tickets will also be on sale at the CDC.
Please contact Alona Plis or Tendayi Mawere, Corporate Events Coordinators, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
13th Annual Toronto Trip – October 10 – 13, 2018
- ASBAA’s Annual Toronto Trip is one of the most memorable experiences to be a part of as an ASBAA member. Ten students will travel to Toronto to experience the business hub of Canada. Students will visit the head offices of accounting firms within the greater Toronto area, as well as other big businesses in the city. Students will have the opportunity to establish connections with professionals outside of Winnipeg and are strongly encouraged to ask for professional advice. In addition students will get a chance to see major Toronto attractions and experience the social scene of downtown Toronto. You don’t want to miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity!
- In order to participate you must have completed ACC 1100 and ACC 1110 with a grade of C+ and must be enrolled in one of the courses that comprises the accounting major (ACC 2010, etc).
- Deadline to submit your application is September 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST.
- For more information, see the 13th Annual Toronto Trip page under the events tab.
Please direct any further questions to the ASBAA Executive Council via email at email@example.com
2ND MEMBERSHIP MEETING – November 5th, 2018 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM [Room 103]
- We will be having two speakers at our meeting (one from public practice and one from industry) who will talk about going through the CPA designation from a student’s perspective, as well as a short presentation on the Business and Accounting Students Case Competition.
3RD MEMBERSHIP MEETING – December 3rd, 2018 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM [343 Drake]
4TH MEMBERSHIP MEETING – February 4th, 2018 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM [TBD]
5TH MEMBERSHIP MEETING – March 13, 2018 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM [TBD]
- We will introducing the new ASBAA president and vice president for the year 2019-2020. We will also discuss the available council positions for the 2019-2020 term. Additionally, all members of the current ASBAA council will talk about their council experience throughout the year.
18th Annual Business and Accounting Students Case Competition and Conference (BASC) – January 24th – 26th 2018
[Fairmont Hotel, Winnipeg, MB]
- The conference includes interactive sessions lead by prominent business leaders in the Winnipeg community, a wine and cheese, and a gala dinner on Saturday evening with many prominent accounting firms in attendance. In addition, a large portion of this event consists of a case competition attended by business students from across the country. In total, this event will see an attendance of over 150 individuals including students, professionals and faculty members.
- Tickets will be on sale for the Gala Dinner on the closing evening of the event. Top accounting firms and industry professionals will be in attendance. DO NOT miss out on this event!
More details about ticket prices and registration will be available within the month of November and December. For inquiries about the conference, please contact ASBAA Executive Council at firstname.lastname@example.org